At Our Lady of Lourdes we teach Spanish to all Key Stage 2 (KS2) children and have also done introductory Spanish lessons in Key Stage 1 (KS1). We consider teaching a Modern Foreign Language to be important because:
Many children really enjoy learning to speak another language.
The earlier a child is exposed to a foreign language, the faster the language is acquired.
Primary school children are more prepared to speak a foreign language, as they are less self conscious at this stage of their development.
It is widely believed that the early acquisition of a foreign language facilitates the learning of other foreign languages later in life.
Our aims in teaching a modern foreign language are:
• To foster an interest in learning other languages.
• To raise awareness that languages, other than English exist.
• To develop positive attitudes to other languages and cultures.
• To introduce young children to another language in a way that is enjoyable.
• To introduce children to simple vocabulary and structures which can be used in a variety of contexts during the normal school day, thus developing confidence.
• To make young children aware that language has structure, and of the similarities and differences between one language and another.
Languages fiestaval 2018!
On Wednesday 21st March 2018, a group of children from the three Year 6 classes represented Our Lady of Lourdes in the annual Greenbank High Languages Fiestaval. This was the third year that our school has participated and the children performed an acting sketch and a song about directions and finding their way around the town. Miss Ross and Mrs Cox, who took the children, were extremely proud, as every child represented the school impeccably, showing their wonderful behaviour. Well done!
european day of languages
To celebrate the European Day of Languages, each year group was allocated a famous European landmark to study. The children were asked to create some form of artwork to represent the landmark they were given.
Nursery and Reception – Stonehenge (England)
Year 1 – Eiffel Tower (France)
Year 2 – Big Ben (England)
Year 3 – The Brandenburg Gate (Germany)
Year 4 – The Colosseum (Italy)
Year 5 – The Acropolis (Greece)
Year 6 – La Sagrada Familia (Spain)